Common Risks and hazards in the Construction Industry:
- demolition of existing structures
- slips, trips, and falls
- temporary electrical installations
- partially constructed structures
- stored construction materials
- on-site plant and equipment
What are falls?
Employers have a duty to ensure their workplace is safe,
and this means controlling the risk of falls from any height.
Analysis has shown that the risk of serious injury from a
fall is much higher in falls from two metres or more.
The prevention of falls part of the OHS Regulations
applies when there is a risk of a fall of more than 2 metres.
Typical falls that cause death and injury include those
• using unsafe or incomplete scaffolds
• inappropriate ladders/ladder use
• falling from or through roofs
• falling from trucks
• falling into holes, pits or shafts
• accessing shelving
• accessing mezzanine areas.